In order to update my blog this week I googled ' Sanitation' and I came across a really interesting article about these women in a village called Medapally in Andhra Pradesh who belong to various self help groups and each of them have assigned themselves a street that they clean twice a week. How cool!
http://www.indiatogether.org/2008/dec/hlt-medepally.htm
I think the importance of sanitation is getting really undermined in India these days. Not only does this mean that there is a lack of institutional efforts but also that the urban media does not pay enough attention to it. A few days ago , we all saw a documentary called Q2P. A beautifully directed satirical film on the availability of public toilets for women in cities. Although the film shed light on a lot of issues I'll not digress in this post. There was a segment where the film talked about the condition of Mumbai municipal schools. The state of toilets there is sop bad, there was poo all over the floor. In an interview one of the teachers said that she had got an infection from using those toilets Girls avoid drinking water in order to avoid needing to go to the loo, which is terrible for their health.
No comments:
Post a Comment